Crash Pad: Privateer (Great Value Option)
- Shipped as a kit that is custom fit to your seat by trimming equal amounts from both sides of the Shock Absorbing Material; only takes 30 to 45 minutes. See Instructions tab.
- 2” layered, Shock Absorbing Material Bottom Pad with a 20” Shoulder Height Full Back Pad.
- Tough, adjustable, military/hospital grade, 4-way stretch upholstery covering; unique Velcro flap design.
- Fits all seats from 14″ to 18″ width without upholstery modification needed.
- Bottom thickness can be easily altered from 2″ down to 1/2” as desired by removing 1/2″ layers. Only do this if needed to maintain head clearance to the top of the roll cage.
- Use the maximum Bottom Pad thickness as possible to achieve the best risk reduction; 3” is best, 2” is good, 1” is better than nothing.
The Shoulder Height Full Back Pad
The 20” Shoulder Height Back Pad serves the same function as the 8” Lumbar Back Pad but adds additional energy absorption and comfort in the thoracic spinal area. The added length of this 1” thick pad is primarily for comfort but it never hurts to have more Shock Absorbing Material between you and the rigid seat structure. The Full Back Pad consists of two 1/2” layers of Shock Absorbing Material. The lowest 8” should always be 1” thick. Above that some drivers will transition from 1” down to 1/2″ thickness to avoid feeling like they are being pushed forward. It is a personal preference. We know of some drivers that will package the “extra” material and attach it to their seat in the rib support area.
Why is 2″ bottom pad standard if 3″ is best?
- Many drivers do not have the headroom for the 3″ bottom pad.
- The 2″ bottom pad is what many have used. A 3″ bottom pad may raise the driver too much and create some interference between the shoulders and the containment seat surround. You may want to do a simulation test before making your purchase decision by sitting on something that duplicates the Crash Pad compressed height. It is approximately a 40% compression for a 170-pound driver. (3″ becomes 1-7/8″; 2″ becomes 1-3/8″)
- A 2″ bottom pad can be upgraded later to 3″ by buying and simply inserting the 1″ Upgrade for Bottom Pad – UP-CP01 – into the standard product. The same bottom upholstery is used.
Choose what fits you best and remember the thicker the Crash Pad, the more space and time to dissipate energy.
Crash Pad helps reduce the risk of spinal injury and provides drivers comfort when racing, purchase Privateer today!